“At the beginning of the 20th century, two large landowners split the commune in half. One of them died in 1901 and his heirs put the estate up for sale. It was bought by the Bernheim property company which divided it into some 1,700 plots. Since 1911, the area has been called Vaires-sur-Marne." (Extract from the book Parcours et rencontres, Vaires-sur-Marne 1908-2008).